Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions


Can I apply for a diploma without doing the certificate I, II, III or IV first?

Generally yes, but it’s best to check the exact entry requirements of the diploma first.

Can I study with TAFE NSW if I'm not an Australian resident or citizen?

Yes. International students can choose from over 300 courses in Sydney and regional locations. Visit the TAFE NSW Australia website for more information.

If I study part-time, how many hours/days per week do I have for classes?

The number of study hours for a part-time course depends on how the teacher has scheduled the classes, so it’s best to contact your teacher. Given the benchmark for full time is 20 hours per week, part time would then be “less than” 20 hours per week.

What date does my course start?

Generally TAFE NSW Semester 1 courses start the week beginning Monday 30 January 2017.  Mid intake (Semester 2 starting courses) will begin 17 July 2017.

Some short or online courses may start at alternate dates, so check your enrolment confirmation email for details, or contact your local institute.

Does TAFE NSW offer degrees or just diplomas and certificates?

Yes, TAFE NSW offers degrees. We have 10 nationally accredited higher education programs for you to choose from.

Can studying at TAFE NSW help get me into university?

When you study with TAFE NSW, you’ll open up many doors to higher education including:

  1. TAFE NSW Degrees – a range of practical, niche qualifications including associate and bachelor degrees and graduate certificates.
  2. TAFE NSW partners with universities to deliver graduate qualifications at your local campus, and there are many integrated programs that allow you to progress from a diploma to a degree.
  3. Over 100 TAFE NSW courses offer credit transfer arrangements into 700 degree courses in top Australian universities.
  4. TPC (Certificate IV in Tertiary Preparation Certificate 10224NAT) graduates gain an ATAR equivalent rank called a Tertiary Entrance Score which they can use to apply for entry to universities across Australia. Western Sydney University and Charles Sturt University both offer guaranteed entry to a range of undergraduate degrees for students who have completed the TPC from TAFE NSW.
  5. A TAFE Statement in HSC Studies provides you with a NSW Higher School Certificate and an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for entry into most undergraduate degrees in Australia.

Are all TAFE NSW courses offered online?

TAFE NSW offers a wide range of certificates to advanced diplomas, short courses and even graduate qualifications delivered entirely online.

However, depending on your specific course, some units may require the following study options: full-time, part-time, flexible, on campus, or in your workplace.


What are my payment options?

Payment Options:

TAFE NSW courses can be government-subsidised or provided on a ‘fee-for-service’ basis. A fee applies for most TAFE NSW courses and must be paid when you enrol. The amount you pay depends on the type of course you study, and on your personal circumstances. TAFE NSW provides a wide range of pay-as-you-go and instalment payment options so that you can get on with your studies and not have to worry about full payment when you enrol.

Payment Methods:

You may pay fees and other enrolment-related charges by: EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, personal cheque, bank cheque or money order (payable to ‘TAFE NSW’). You may pay over the phone, via the internet or at a campus using a credit card. You can also pay through Student Portal using a credit card. Through Student Portal you may also generate a statement and pay via BPay through your bank’s internet or phone banking service. Please note: cash is not accepted.

How can I find out if I’m eligible for VET FEE-HELP/VET Student Loans?

How can I find out if I’m eligible for VET FEE-HELP/VET Student Loans?

Great news! If you’re looking for a course with a student loan option for 2017, TAFE NSW has been approved to deliver courses for the Commonwealth Government’s new VET Student Loans program. There are over 150 courses that you can get a student loan for. With courses in everything from Landscape Design to Website Development to Aviation, there’s a course for almost everyone.

Further information and the eligible VET Student Loans course list are available from the Commonwealth Department of Education and Training website,

If you’re an existing TAFE NSW student with a VET FEE-HELP loan, you’ll receive an email or letter from the Commonwealth Government. They’ll ask you to ‘opt-in’ to continue to study under the current VET FEE-HELP arrangement. It’s important you respond before 31 March 2017. If you’re an existing student, please contact us here.


Recognition of Prior Learning

How do I apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)?

Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.

To apply for RPL contact the staff at your chosen campus to discuss how you may gain credit through recognition of your skills, knowledge or experience as part of your previous part-time, full-time or casual work.

TAFE NSW may recognise relevant skills gained through community or volunteer work, sports team management, domestic responsibilities or even hobbies and leisure activities. These skills may be assessed as equivalent to meet the requirements of up to 100% of the course you are enrolled in.


Are scholarships available at TAFE NSW?

A variety of scholarships are available for different areas of study right across the state. Read more.

Jobs of Tomorrow scholarships

People with skills in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) are in high demand. If you are interested in training in these skills, you may be eligible for a $1,000 Jobs of Tomorrow scholarship under the NSW Government’s Smart and Skilled Program. Read more.

Smart & Skilled Fee-Free scholarships

The NSW Government’s new Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships mean that students can get the skills they need to get the job they want and their course fees will be covered. Read more.

TAFE National scholarships

If you are a prospective or current Australian TAFE student you could be eligible for a TAFE National Scholarship. Read more.

Unique Student Identifier

What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?

A Unique Student Identifier or USI is made up of 10 numbers and letters which gives you access to an account that contains your completed training records and results. A USI will help you provide evidence of your studies when you apply for a job or undertake further study.

If you are a student studying nationally-recognised training at a registered training organisation like TAFE NSW, you will need to have a USI. The USI will give you ongoing access to your records and results, so they are always available if you choose to enrol in further training or need to show a future employer.

When you register for the USI, you also need to give permission for your TAFE NSW institute to view your USI and access your records.


Don't take our word for it

See what our past students have to say about their time at TAFE NSW.

  • Jesse

    "I wasn’t really into the whole university atmosphere where everyone seems to be competing. At TAFE, everyone kinda helps each other. It’s much more supportive."
    - Jesse Skinner, Bachelor of 3D Art and Animation

  • Olivia Groome

    "Coming to TAFE was a much better fit for me because I was really able to be one-on-one with teachers and it was a much more intimate learning environment, which really benefited me as a student."
    - Olivia Groome, Bachelor of Design (Interior Design)